Why ASP.NET (webforms) Sucks.

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. Chocolim says:

I use webform when i need a CRUD for yesterday, it is kind of hard when you want same fancy ajax in your page, when i need that i use asp.net MVC.

Before MVC i used asp.net like PHP. Without webform’s.
    Try to do that in java, java web developing is like a lassagna of frameworks.

2. brad says:

ASP.Net Webforms are the space shuttle of web tech… A really bad idea in retrospect that took an amazing amount of engineering, but in the end was in the completely wrong direction.

3. fsilber says:

It seems to me that Wicket (a Java framework) gives you the best of both worlds. Wicket for C#, if it were to exist, would be even better.

4. Chuck says:

Frank, that might be the case.

I haven’t spent much time with Java in quite a while so it would be hard for me to say (certainly, no experience with Wicket). But the original (in the flesh) discussion grew out of a comment made on the fly by another colleague along the lines of "You’re the first person I’ve heard that says JSF sucks" 🙂

I generalized that to say that not only does JSF suck, ASP.NET webforms suck, too. While it is certainly possible, with a lot of work, to write a reasonably clean application in ASP.NET, the whole programing model encourages sloppiness. On a project that is staffed heavily with junior/mid-level developers, it inevitably leads to a "big ball of mud" (odd, kind of like the project I’m trying to clean up now…).

5. Luke Sampson says:

I generally agree with that… after years working with web forms, MVC is so refreshing to use because you’re not fighting with a framework which is trying to make the web seem like a windows application.

Talking about initial productivity, I find ASP.NET MVC is actually faster in getting quick prototypes up and running. I don’t think ASP.NET MVC is just for people that want to "get it right" – if you’re going with the "fail early, fail fast" approach MVC works too – it’s a framework that gets out of the way and lets you do your thing.

6. Steve says:

"they thought VB6 developers were too damn stupid to know better"

great point – the underpinnings for ASP.NET were set with the laughably stupid ‘VB6 Web Project’.

Gee – let’s take the VB event model and treat IIS like it’s windows.

That’s a recipe for ‘square peg, round hole, hit hard, repeat indefinitely’

In twitter speak – #FAIL

7. Mac says:

Occasionally I like to see what comes up when I google "ASP.NET Sucks" and tonight (while taking a break from being pissed at ASP.NET) I found this. I’ve written code for 30 years on everything from embedded processors to bank systems that handle billions in transactions, and I honestly don’t think I’ve seen anything that sucks as much as ASP.NET.

The only place where I’ll disagree is that ASP.NET was created for numbskull rent-a-coders. If you’ve ever been to Microsoft (and I’ve worked on site with them on various problems over the years) you would know the main problem is that it was created *BY* numbskull rent-a-coders.

Get yourself a job in a major Corporate America setting where you’re surrounded by fresh-outta-school H1B bottom feeders, and you’ll recognize all the same "big ideas" mixed with "on the job training" experience being implemented with the reckless abandon that is possible only when you know you’ll be working somewhere else in six months and won’t have to answer for your experimentation in production code.

.NET is awesome. C# is awesome. ASP.NET needs to be thrown away and forgotten.

8. Mr. TA says:

Good news is, there is a solution to ASP.NET’s problems: it’s called the Turbo framework.